Wednesday, May 16, 2012

NOT miserable!

My EDD is tomorrow so this is an exciting time! However, I'd like to put out a little PSA of what not to say to a happily full-term pregnant woman after inquiring when her little one is due to be born:
"Oh, you poor thing, all of mine were born by that point."
"Oh my, you must be absolutely miserable."
"Why haven't they induced you yet?"
"For your sake I hope it's soon."

I know this is mind-boggling to some people, but I'm determined to enjoy these last few weeks, say active, and do my best to focus on the positive (as I've done for the past 36 weeks). I'm not saying I don't have my complaints (just ask my DH ;) and I realize people mean no harm with their comments. But it seems like a majority of the strangers I've encountered have this perception that a 40-weeks pregnant lady must be in agony, and it's just not always true.

That's not to say I haven't encountered positivity from random people as well. The favorite comments I've received in the past few weeks:
"You look great!"
"How exciting!"
"You're moving so well!"
"Wow, and I couldn't even tell you were pregnant from the back!"

Each one of those comments may have been total BS (my thighs are huge, I waddle, and my triple chin is back with a vengeance), but those words sure made me feel a lot better than people trying to talk me into being miserable. I'm not promising I won't have my moments of grumpiness and suffering in the weeks to come but if I do, it'll be on MY terms not because society keeps trying to remind me that I'm "supposed" to be that way at this point.

No comments: